About The Firm
Spagnolo & Hoeksema, LLC was established in 2002 by Don Spagnolo and Kristin (Kristy) Hoeksema. Don and Kristy sought to establish a law firm that was dedicated to providing the highest quality legal advice and representation, along with a commitment to superior service to its clients.
Don Oliver Spagnolo
Admitted to the Illinois Bar in 1988, Don is also CPA certified since 1985. Don has extensive experience representing:
- Closely-held owner-operated business;
- Clients in the structure, acquisition, sale or restructure of their business;
- Businesses and individuals with regard to tax disputes with the IRS and the Illinois Department of Revenue, with great success at reducing penalties and tax for the taxpayer;
- Owners of diverse businesses with estate planning and the transition of ownership of the family business to the next generation;
- Professional athletes and coaches with regard to the negotiation of various contracts;
- Not-for-profit and tax exempt organizations.
Don was a former member of an S-Corporation Expert Team in a major tax firm responsible for authoring over 10 internal memos or treatises on the subject. He has drafted S-Corporation and Partnership manuals for use by a major tax firm. Don has extensive experience in the representation of corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships and sole proprietorships, and is responsible for trust and probate administration, including the preparation and filing of all estate tax returns.
Admitted to Practice: State of Illinois in 1988; Certified CPA since 1985
Membership: American Bar Association, Knights of Columbus
Educational Background: Bachelor of Business Administration 1984, Loyola University Chicago; Juris Doctor 1988, Loyola University Chicago School of Law
Kristin Elise Hoeksema
Since being admitted to the Illinois Bar in 1992, Kristy has gained extensive experience in civil litigation, with concentrations including:
- Commercial Litigation, from negotiations through appeals, and including business disputes;
- Construction and Mechanic’s Liens;
- Mortgage foreclosures;
- Probate, Guardianship and Trust Litigation, with expertise in contested Probate, Guardianship and Trust Litigation — from issues of competency through on-going fiduciary obligations;
- Highly technical business disputes, including loan and contract disputes.
Kristy has successfully represented local corporations in multi-million dollar commercial dispute against Prudential Insurance Company of America, and Motorola. She has successfully litigated partnership disputes and issues resulting from mergers and acquisitions and business sales. Kristy has extensive experience in documenting and reviewing banking loan transactions.
Admitted to Practice: State of Illinois in 1992; U.S. Federal Court, Northern District of IL in 1992
Membership: Illinois State Bar Association
Educational Background: Bachelor of Arts 1989, Valparaiso University; Juris Doctor Summa Cum Laude 1992, Valparaiso University School of Law
John M. Janiga
Admitted to the Illinois Bar in 1988, John has broad experiences in certified public accounting, industry, and law firms. He has been CPA certified since 1979. John has extensive knowledge concerning:
- Tax research in support of sophisticated planning techniques and tax litigation;
- Tax compliance and research services to various individuals and business entities;
- Drafting documents related to the formation of various business entities;
- Preparation and filing of tax returns related to estate planning and administration (Form 1041, Form 706, and Form 709);
- Drafting wills, trusts, and related estate planning documents;
- Providing counsel related to trust and estate administration.
John has served as a consultant to accounting and law firms on issues relating to tax and estate planning. He is also a full professor at Loyola University Chicago, with teaching focus in the areas of tax and estate planning. John has also authored and co-authored numerous journal articles and a book on tax and estate planning issues.
Admitted to Practice: State of Illinois in 1988; Certified CPA in 1979
Membership: Chicago Bar Association, American Taxation Association, Illinois CPA Society, American Accounting Association
Educational Background: Bachelor of Business Administration 1979, Master of Business Administration 1982, Loyola University Chicago; Juris Doctor, Cum Laude 1988, Loyola University Chicago School of Law; Masters of Laws in Taxation 1991, DePaul University College of Law
Selected Honors & Awards: Who’s Who in American Law; Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals; Who’s Who in Business Higher Education; profiled in The Princeton Review’s “The 300 Best Professors” (published by Random House, 2012); Illinois CPA Society’s “2008 Outstanding Educator” Award; graduated 3rd (out of 182) in Law School Class, Cum Laude